ROCKFORD, MI – Rockford High School and the Rockford Freshman Center will switch to online-only learning for the next two weeks after at least 17 students have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
In the past few weeks, 416 students in grades 9-12 have been placed in self-quarantine after coming into close contact with positive cases, Rockford Superintendent Michael Shibler wrote in an Oct. 10 post to the district website.
Shibler said health officials from the Kent County Health Department called him Saturday urging the superintendent to close the high school and freshman center buildings for 14 days as a result of increasing coronavirus cases.
High school students will use the same remote instructional model they had used when the district conducted online-only learning for the first two weeks of school.
The two buildings will remain closed to students until Friday, Oct. 23, Shibler said. Teachers will have access to the buildings and can teach from their classrooms while students receive live online instruction from home, Shibler said.
“(Health officials) believe doing so will stop the spread of the virus as it did earlier this fall at Caledonia High School,” Shibler wrote in the announcement, referring to when Caledonia Community Schools closed its high school on Aug. 28 for two weeks because of six positive cases in students and staff.
Since reopening for in-person classes on Sept. 11, Caledonia